I was going through my old CD collection (yes I still hold on to them ) and started to listen to some songs and mixed CD’s I had made. I came across “Khalil” by Boys II Men, an interlude between the tracks “Jezzebel” and “Trying Times” from the album “II.” It was a dedication to their late road manager & mentor Khalil Roundtree . It made me think of all the positive and negative influences I had when I was growing up. I’m thankful for both because it gave me the ability to see what happened when I made good choices and when I didn’t. I had many mentors who shared their wisdom and taught me to look beyond the obvious when dealing with people and in making decisions in my life. So I want to thank all those men who brought me along and gave me the tools I needed to become a productive part of society.
There are so many self-sacrificing people out there who are leading the charge quietly in their families and communities to encourage and mentor our young men. Fathers, uncles, brothers, coaches, ministers, mothers, sisters, wives, etc. We appreciate your work. We are grateful. Thank you.
Who has mentored or inspired you and how? Share and write in the comments below.
We need a broader definition of what being a man is. I remember a female friend of mine many years ago trying to figure me out. She came to the conclusion that I was either a player or gay. I didn’t fit into her predetermined box of manliness. Why? Because I dressed well. Can you imagine that? Those were my two options.
“Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.” “Never mistake activity for achievement.” “Don’t measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability.” “Consider the rights of others before your own feelings, and the feelings of others before your […]
I am attempting to live this philosophy everyday: Style as a meditation and not a mere regulatory affair. I recently did a post on The 7 Habits of Sylish People and most of the advice was character driven. I believe 70% of style is Character and the other 30% is Clothing. Most think clothing is important. […]